Socrates - 3 Strainer Test

Socrates had a high reputation for wisdom in ancient Greece . They all came to him for advice, and he listened to each one of them.


Someone came one day to the great philosopher and said to him:

"Do you know what I just learned about your friend?


"One moment," answered Socrates. Before you tell me, I'd like you to take a test, that of the three sieves.

-- The three colanders?

“Yes, yes,” resumed Socrates. Before saying all sorts of things about others, it is good to take the time to filter what you would like to say. This is what I call the test of the three strainers. The first sieve is that of truth. Have you checked if what you want to tell me is true?

-- No. I only heard of it...

-- Very well. So you do not know if it is the truth.


Let's try to filter differently by using a second sieve, that of goodness. What you want to tell me about my friend, is it something good?

-- Oh no! On the contrary.

--So, Socrates continued, you want to tell me bad things about him and you're not even sure if they're true.


You may still be able to pass the test, because there remains a sieve, that of utility. Is it useful for you to teach me what my friend would have done?

-- No. Not really.

- So, concludes Socrates:

If what you have to tell me is
neither true nor good nor useful...why would you tell me?"  

 
Thanks For Visiting
Copyright © 2015 - IcqGreetings4U
LoriAnn
LoriAnn

DISCLAIMER - The information that is posted on this blog is for general enjoyment and information only. This blog contains links to other websites which you may choose to visit if you so desire. The content of these sites are evaluated before the links are included on this blog but not always guaranteed to be family-friendly as time goes on.

-