The Age Of Wisdom


They say with age comes wisdom,
That they make a likely pair,
That when a proper age is reached,
Wisdom should be there.
Tell me, when will wisdom show?
When will enlightenment take place?
I wonder if it's really true
Age is more than lavender and lace.
I want to be prepared for it,
I want to know when I am wise,
So I can sit with chin in hand,
To make sage comments and advise.
Perhaps a furrow in my brow
Will show I'm deep in thought,
Or a distant look within my eyes
Will reveal I think a lot.
I'd like to utter profound words,
That people will write down,
And quote to one another,
Preferably before I'm gone.
I have learned, as I grow older,
My poor brain is quite a joke,
Though, when I was in my teens,
I knew more than both my folks.
This wisdom thing is backwards,
I knew much more when I was young,
There was nothing one could tell me then.
So how come now I feel so dumb?
As it is, I can't remember
All the things I know I should,
Though I always say, "Gesundheit,"
And I always knock on wood.
But why I do or say those things,
I'll admit I have forgot,
They happen automatically,
Without a bit of thought.
I wish I could be really wise,
And grow ever wiser as I age,
I'd like to be like Solomon,
And make decisions that amaze.
But now it's even difficult
Deciding what to have for dinner,
Would Solomon pick pizza pie?
If so, then I might be a winner.
To understand life's mysteries
Is every human's goal,
But, you know, I still don't have a clue,
Even though I am so old.
I doubt I'll ever figure out
Just how a clock keeps time,
Or how a light switch turns on lights,
Or what makes a doorbell chime.
See, the simplest things still puzzle me,
Though I accept them without question,
But before I go, I'd like to know
About this age and mind connection.
The elderly have lots of losses,
Can wisdom replace those?
Or is wisdom just a word that's used,
To appease those older souls?
But if, and when, wisdom does set in,
At what vast age must someone be?
I wonder if I've reached it yet,
For I have learned to laugh at me.
Virginia (Ginny) Ellis
November 2004
 

Thanks For Visiting
Copyright © 2015 - IcqGreetings4U
LazsRealm
LazsRealm

DISCLAIMER - The information that is posted on this blog is for general enjoyment and information only. This blog contains links to other websites which you may choose to visit if you so desire. The content of these sites are evaluated before the links are included on this blog but not always guaranteed to be family-friendly as time goes on.

-