Remember Time Spent With Mom

Poem conveys a Mother's hope when she is old and needs care from her children.
Full Newspaper clip - Image can be viewed here 
Dear Ann Landers: I read this article by Virginia Bass of El Cajon, Calif., in the San Diego Union-Tribune and hope you have room for it in your column. – Faithful California Reader
Dear California: Thank you for sending it on. I found it very moving and am happy to share it with my readers. Here it is:

I was the caregiver to my mother and her twin. They lived to ages 95 and 96. Now I find myself on the other end of the scenario, which is difficult in a different way.  I hope to be spirited and wear a smile for some time to come (I am 71) but intentionally prepare my children for times ahead by writing a poem. I gave each of my children (ages 45, 43, and 34) a copy and told them, “I mean it.”

To My Children

When I spill some food on my nice clean dress
Or maybe forget to tie my shoe,
Please be patient and perhaps reminisce
About the many hours I spent with you.

When I taught you how to eat with care,
Plus tying laces and your numbers, too,
Dressing yourself and combing your hair,
Those were precious hours spent with you.

So when I forget what I was about to say,
Just give me a minute — or maybe two.
It probably wasn't important anyway,
And I would much rather listen just to you.

If I tell the story one more time,
And you know the ending through and through,
Please remember your first nursery rhyme
When I rehearsed it a hundred times with you.

When my legs are tired and it's hard to stand
Or walk the steady pace that I would like to do,
Please take me carefully by my hand,
And guide me now as I so often did for you.

Thanks For Visiting
Copyright © 2015 - IcqGreetings4U
LazsRealm
LazsRealm

DISCLAIMER - The information that is posted on this blog is for general enjoyment and information only. This blog contains links to other websites which you may choose to visit if you so desire. The content of these sites are evaluated before the links are included on this blog but not always guaranteed to be family-friendly as time goes on.

-